“Seven Lakes – One Town”
Here are a few things to know about living in the Town of Arcadia Lakes.
The Town of Arcadia Lakes is a municipality chartered by the State of South Carolina. Legally, the Town is like any other city or town. Municipalities are “political subdivisions” of the state and with authority to govern granted by state law.
Located in Richland County, Arcadia Lakes has no municipal property tax. The Town has a small government with limited resources and relies on “intergovernmental agreements” with Richland County to help support Town responsibilities. The Town and County mutually agree certain services, such as storm water management, will be provided by the County.
The Town is governed by a mayor and four other members, who make up a Town Council. It meets on the first Thursday of each month. Other officials include a Town Clerk and a Town Attorney. There are also volunteers performing vital service on the Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals, as well as serving on ad hoc Town committees and as our representative to the County’s Transportation Policy Advisory Committee (TPAC).
Laws and Enforcement
State laws are enforced in Arcadia Lakes by the Richland County Sheriff’s Office. Any suspicious activity or emergency should be reported by calling 9-1-1. Traffic accidents in Town should be reported to the Highway Patrol by dialing *HP. Supporting and complying with Town ordinances also will keep the town safe and attractive. It also protects your property value. Town ordinances are available at: Town Ordinances
Residents should note the cutting down of trees is prohibited without a Town permit. There is no charge for the permit. To receive a permit download and complete an application and take it to Town Hall. Please remember to allow time for review and approval. The permit may be found at: Tree Removal Permit Application (pdf)
Nuisances are vexing because neighbors are involved. Residents may report nuisances to Town Hall. Depending on the complaint, it might be resolved by the Town Clerk, handled by Council or referred to the Sheriff’s Department. The Town and Richland County Sheriff have an agreement for the Sheriff’s Department to enforce County nuisance ordinances, such as those dealing with overgrown vegetation and unlicensed vehicles, in the Town. These should be reported to Town Hall for referral to the Sheriff.
Animal control in Arcadia Lakes is overseen by Richland County. Dogs must be licensed, walked on leash, and waste collected. Call Richland County Animal Care at 803-576-2461 about strays and unkept dogs.
Arcadia Lakes currently contracts with Yandle Garbage for the collection of both household garbage and yard debris. Contact Yandle at 803-736-2631, or the Town Clerk at 803-782-2272 with concerns regarding collection. Please observe these rules which are established by ordinance:
- Household garbage pickup in driveway or curbside
- Place in containers less than 65 gallons
- Yard debris pickup at curbside only
- Yard trimmings and leaves must be bagged or placed in a container
- No more than 165 gallons of debris per week
- No limbs over 4 feet long or 4 inches in diameter, no item over 40 pounds, no debris from tree cutters, no construction materials, no bricks, wood, dirt, cement or rocks.
- Paint must be completely dry with lids off.
- Recycling pickup in driveway or curbside
- Call Town Hall at 803-782-2272 for a recycling bin
- Acceptable: Cardboard boxes, flattened. Paperboard boxes, flattened. Aluminum cans. Steel cans. Empty aerosol cans. All plastic jugs, jars and bottles. Magazines. Newspaper and inserts. Glass bottles, jugs and jars (only clear, green and brown) Junk mail and office paper
- Unacceptable: Phone books, plastic bags, Styrofoam, blue glass, glass or plastic in any other shape or form from the above.
- For construction debris or other heavy items, you may contact Yandle at 803-736-2631 or another contractor of your choice
- Electronics and other refuse not accepted by the town contactor contact the Richland County Landfill: Richland County Solid Waste Dropoff
Please keep Arcadia Lakes looking good. Pick up trash, keep waterways clean, and maintain your property!
Calling for Services
Services are provided by different entities. So, understanding which agency performs what service is important. A list of common services and contact information for providers may be found online at: Service Providers (pdf)
Call Town Hall with questions at 803-782-2272 and enjoy Arcadia Lakes’ “small town living” near South Carolina’s capital city! Town Council, the Town Clerk, and the Town Attorney want you a happy life in Arcadia Lakes!